Friday, November 7, 2008

Letting GO

I find myself ‘growing up’ more and more each day as my son, Briston (9 years old), grows with me.

When he was a baby I held his little hands to hold him up on his feet so that he could take his first steps. As he learned and took those steps, there came a time where I had to 'let go' of his little hands so that he could walk on his own. This was a bitter sweet event for me along the road of motherhood. I think back to that moment in time when I ‘let go’ of his little hands so that he could walk on his own and I realize that I did not know then what I was headed for as a mother. That was just the beginning of MANY ‘letting goes’ along the way of the road of motherhood. (first day of school, first day of going to play at the neighbors house alone, first overnight stay at his father’s house, etc.)

As he gets older the tougher the ‘letting go’ projects get. Thank GOD that I grow along side him and that as I grow God equips me with just enough strength to convince myself that I can get through it. God teaches me many valuable lessons as I am a mother for Briston. These ‘letting go’ projects are teaching me to trust in God more and more; and to rest assured that Briston is in God’s hands first and then in mine. I can ‘let go’, but God never ‘let’s go’!

God has blessed me immensely with this little boy. I tell Briston every chance I get that he is an angel sent from God for me. Briston is God’s special gift to me. I love him more than words can ever explain. Briston and I have been through some really tough times together and some very happy times together. He is my side kick, my friend (sometimes, lol), and he can even act like the husband I don’t have! He and I are a team. Unfortunately, his father (my ex-husband) has always been a little ‘disconnected’ from his life. As Briston has grown he has learned more and more about families and that there are families with Dads and Moms. I have already dealt with the “Mommy, why don’t I have a Dad at home?” question from Briston, but as he gets older the more he understands and wants to get to know his Dad.

This is where I am now on this road of motherhood (which, I think has no destination because we never stop being Mommy!). I have to ‘let go’ of my angel so that he can spend some quality time with his Dad. My prayer is for his Dad to want to get to know his son, the angel, the special gift that God gave us. I pray that Briston’s father can see the light that shines through that little boy.

Thank you Lord for blessing me with such a precious gift - my son and thank you Lord for giving me the strength, courage, and love that I needed to get through yet another ‘letting go’ project. Amen

3 comments:

Gloria Rodriguez said...

Wow, what an amazing post. Thanks so much Liza, for allowing us to see the heart of a single mom. There is no doubt that God has your back and is Briston's number 1 Dad. The faith that it takes to "let go" pays dividends girlfriend....

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blog world Liza! Thank you so much for being such an inspiration! Thank you for being so warm, thank you for encouraging so many! Briston has such an awesome role model in his mommy! Pastor Chris

Anonymous said...

so glad you are blogging. we just love briston--i thank God for him and his heart for my boys. they are so impressed by his "coolness" and his playful heart. i am so grateful that my boys have someone like briston who loves the Lord, loves others (and is cool)to look up too.