Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Life Changing House Fire

Ok! I promised that I would keep you all up to date with the happenings in my last post. So, I must tell you what BIG thing God had for us. OH YEAH it was big!!

Well, on Friday, 2/13, I was at home getting ready for movie night at my church. Ironically enough, the movie 'Fireproof"! I put candle wax to melt & burn on the stove while I took a shower so that the house can get a nice aroma. I was trying to change my spirits because I had been having a day with heartache because it was a Valentine's Pre-Day and everywhere there was love and couples talk. I was missing you know who!

When I finished with my shower I could smell a smoky candle smell. I walked out of the bathroom, wet & naked, headed toward the kitchen. As I approached the kitchen I could see the reflection of fire off the back door. I reached the kitchen and saw the pot of wax on fire and the fire burning the over-the-stove microwave and the back panel of the stove (the pot was on the back burner). Crazy me, I put my hand in and slowly moved the pot to the front burner. When I did this the flames started to burn the entire front part of the microwave. The fire was not letting loose. I tried to find my fire extinguisher and it was MIA (I still have not found it!). In those seconds every fire prevention course and details ran through my head. I thought of putting a towel over the pot, but the fire was big, so I quickly turned that down because the towel would catch on fire, too. So I turned to the ever so common solution! WATER.... OH BOY! I filled a cup of water and poured it quickly into the pot. BAD IDEA! The fire increased and just went absolutely WILD!! The kitchen cabinets were damaged, the microwave burned to a crisp, the side of the refrigerator got burned. The fire reached the ceiling! I screamed and ran!!!

I was able to escape. God spared my life and my home. Thank God Briston was not home. I had just dropped him off minutes before to spend time with his uncle (My Bro - Thank you!). Thank GOD!!!

Well, all this for a HUGE lesson. I would have never imaged what God did after this.

As a little background, my house has been and still is a construction site (4 years of drama!). So needless to say, this house is the GIANT in my life. God has given me so much courage and strength to battle with this giant. It is only through God's grace that this project will be completed one day! So, this fire came as another additional project for this house. Another drama, another obstacle, another indication that this is the GIANT.

I gave up! My faith was tested BIG TIME! That is exactly what God had in mind for me. 'The' test came my way. I now write to you that I passed the test! My faith is stronger now than it was before the fire! We MUST believe that although sufferings or tough times come our way, those are the times that make us stronger, wiser, more faithful, thus growing us closer to GOD!

James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

I know now more than times I have blogged it before - GOD HAS AN AMAZING PLAN FOR US!!!! God works everything out for the GOOD!

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

We must learn to look at our sufferings and our tough times differently. We can not look at them in a negative way. Those trials and situations are the key to our life purpose. They mold us into who we are - what God has intended us to be. We then should use our lessons learned from our sufferings to help others. We were not created to be greedy or selfish with our love, kindness and wisdom - enjoy the results of your sufferings and help others!!!

Wow! There is so much more that I have learned from this house fire, but this post is already long enough. Leave a comment and let me know if you want to know more. It was life changing for me and I am here to serve through the love of Christ.

1 comment:

Gloria Rodriguez said...

My Sister, what an amazing disaster (is that considered an oximoron?) Anyway, you know EXACTLY what I mean. Although I know that you feel extremely loved and favored, it is an honor to be able to experience this with you and see how confident your becoming in knowing exactly what God is saying to you - WOW! you go girl....